Author Topic: CHANGE IN THE WAY DELETIONS ARE DEALT WITH  (Read 21492 times)

kensmith

CHANGE IN THE WAY DELETIONS ARE DEALT WITH
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:24:42 AM »
As many of you will be aware the website is expanding quite rapidly on a daily basis and is no longer the community that it originally was, it is much too large now to use that word to describe it.

Here are a few statistics for February 2012
Total membership 66,154 (not all active)
New members 1,883
Average registrations per day 44.78
Average of photographs uploaded per day 300-400

Because of this and also the amount of daily uploads it is no longer possible to continue or sustain the current method when dealing with deletions, we have always been a very tolerant website with regard to deletions, in fact probably one of the most tolerant with thumbnail and courteous messages sent with all, but this is very time consuming and because of the vast amount of daily uploads a great many of which are not meeting the rules and guidelines we have to make changes.

The current system of viewing photographs that are considered for deletion will continue and all will be seen by a minimum of two pairs of eyes, no one person will be able to make a deletion and where appropriate a thumbnail and message will still be sent but in order to reduce the amount of time spent processing deletions we will be introducing a system of
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:43:55 PM by Ken Smith »

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: CHANGE IN THE WAY DELETIONS ARE DEALT WITH
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »

Okay, no problem.
However I only upload on rare occasions ;-)

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 06:54:22 PM »
That's a clear guideline Ken !

Clydee

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 03:28:31 AM »
Some members delete their own images when replacing them with a better later shot of the same vessel.

They will have noticed that the list of deletions column has a heading titled Reason.

Would it be possible for the number of the Site Standard not complied with to be shown in this column for each photo deleted by the deletions Admin?  For example 5 = Full ships only, and 6 = Ship must be the main subject.

For members who are not repeat offenders, a comment in the Personal message column would I am sure be appreciated.

Offline E. Vroom

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
Sensable devlopement all this.

Question about this;
"If a photograph is deleted without notification you will be able to see it if you open up My Photos go to the far right on the taskbar and open up Deleted Photos."

I had a look at this new feature, it works fine. I can imagine however that deleted photos get scrapped in the end to free storage space on the server.
What's the span of time for this?

Offline peterredd

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:03:15 AM »
Spot on and well done Ken and all.. No need to contact the person, you and the Admins make the decision and that's it...Final... Keep up the great work! everyone involved with this website does a good job in keeping the quality up to date..

Cheers
Just love ships

Offline B.Clark

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »
Spot on and well done Ken and all.. No need to contact the person, you and the Admins make the decision and that's it...Final... Keep up the great work! everyone involved with this website does a good job in keeping the quality up to date..

Cheers

well said, keep up the good work, a thankless task at times but appreciated by many

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 03:40:17 AM »
Dear Ken

One more clear and kind explanation impossible, now the rules are clear for everybody.

Thanks and
Kind Regards

Tomi.

Offline Damieen

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Ship Spotting
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 04:43:46 AM »
If you want ship site related news, functions, modules and other sorts of information you could simply get access to this forum and post your questions and concerns.

Offline jdap

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 08:31:27 AM »
Goodday, All!

I am brand new here. I came to the site by chance, as I am a regular contributor of the Online List of Lights, and I noticed your website was listed in the profile of another fellow contributor of photos there.

I liked immediately the concept behind your site, so I immediately joined. Since I had several side photos of vessels taken while on the coast searching for lights and beacons, I uploaded those here. There were 17 in all. 6 of them were deleted, and I appreciate they were not up to the standards of this website. That is OK. But the funny thing was, and this is the reason for this post, that invariably the 6 that are no longer on line collected by far more visits while on display than the 11 that were left online...

Rather curious, isn't it?

Maybe the visits criteria should also be taken into account when deciding on whether a given photo earmarked for deletion by the first screener should be finally deleted by the webmaster, or not.

Just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:33:34 AM by jdap »

Offline Barry Graham

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »
I've also noticed that photos considered for deletion sometimes attract a large number of hits.  My guess is that most hits are after the picture has been flagged for possible deletion with people being just curious about the reason.  Or maybe in some cases a bad photo is just so "different" that people are attracted to take a closer look.  (I'm not saying that applies to any of yours, jdap) Just my 10 pence worth.  Barry

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »
Could the new policy be added to the FAQ page please as there is still no direct guidance there for members (there is a guidance page for Admins on member contact, but it's out of date anyway - perhaps not a priority to re-do).  To save Admins' time, perhaps Ken's clear guidance, starting from "The current system of viewing photographs...." could be just copied into a new heading in the "General" section?

David

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
I don't have a problem with the policy or current application, so no need to be defensive.  The whole point of a FAQ page is in it's title.  It's the right place in my view for standing policies that people ask about; it has lots of useful ones at present - site standards most obviously.  When a member's photo is deleted  (and it is very usefully shown now in the My Photos menu), I am sure the most frequently asked question is why?  The natural first port of call for most would be the FAQ page, where the answer to the deletion will, in most cases, be revealed. 

No problem to leave the "sticky subject" thread.  Interesting that one of the others says "Please be informed that FAQ's are regularly updated to suit changing circumstance".  It might be helpful to prune (ie "unstick", not delete) the sticky subjects - they are already taking up half the first page of topics.

David

Offline jdap

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »
Hello,

Sorry to break into this high level discussion, but I joined less than a month ago, and out of goodwill, I started out by being a black sheep, as I have been giving Ken and others a hard time with the photos I initially uploaded.

And I am very appreciatitive of the way my outlawed photos have been dealt with (and my own case, if I dare say so) by those in charge.

First of all, the basics. The reason why I started out by uploading "raw" photos, is because each one of them meant a lot to me. The way it was taken, showing the subject, but also the circumstances under which each had been taken. At least to me.

I learnt the hard way that my emotions regarding the circumstances surrounding the way each photo was taken was in the least what the site and the Photo Admin. really expected from it.

They care about the emotions the main subject, the vessel pictured, and at the heart of the photo, will eventually create on members/viewers.

They could not care less about circumstances leading to the way the photo was taken. That is impressed on my mind (and heart), but not in the photo. It cannot be transmitted to others.

That I have learnt.

So I needed to adjust my mind, and start focusing on the ship at the centre of the photo, not on the circumstances under which the photo had been taken. It meant developping empathy with prospective viewers, and foregoing my own in-grown rememberings of circumstances leading to the actual shot being taken. That was a learning experience to me.

Since many of my photos have been deleted, I have tried to move into the subject at the heart of the photo, and forget all the rest. All the surroundings. And all the emotions those surroundings had inspired on me. I am still working my way there.

It is an emotional thing, not a rational thing.

Now, to the point.

I do not think I would have improved my technique had the answer been spelled-out in the site FAQs.

What really has been helping me (I am still learning the ways of the site, by the way - emotionally, I mean - not theoretically through the reading of the R&R...) is that, for every single photo earmarked for "Deletion" by the first screener, I was able to read his/hers remarks at the foot of the Description section.

Left there for the second screener to judge upon.

These few words taught me a lot, and helped me realise, in every single case, what had gone wrong, and what were the specific details on which I needed to concentrate, as spelled out, to make that specific photo acceptable to the site.

That was a very useful learning experience. Question and Answer provided on the spot!

Right now, seeing and noting those remarks requires swiftness on the part of the prospective (and delinquent...) photographer, as once the second screener sees the photo and finally deletes it, those remarks are lost (at least to the photographer self).

Maybe what could be arranged is a way to have those remarks by the first screener be automatically emailed to the photographer, so that one is sure he reads them, and acknowledges them, in the realm of his/hers own reality and limitations.

My 2 cents worth.

Thanks for reading.

Jose
(jdap)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk