Author Topic: Costa ship adrift in Indian Ocean  (Read 11810 times)

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Costa ship adrift in Indian Ocean
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »
On Britain's ITV News today I heard the ship being referred to as 'over 40 years old'. So that's it, then! That's what everyone in UK now think they know.

Something else that everybody now knows.....
In today's newspaper she is apparently the Costa Concordia's "sister ship"  ::)

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »
Not quite her original guise, John. As built she had two Munck gantry granes on deck. See this pic of sister vessel, Margaret Johnson: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1504541

Bob,

Yes, we've all seen them with the Munck gantries. I meant original as in prior to conversion you nit-picker ;)

Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

BobS

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:59 PM »
That wasn't very nice, John - downright rude, in fact. I didn't think you were old enough to remember the Munck Loaders. Nevertheless, I'd be pleased to pick your nits any time you'd like it!!!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:09:55 PM by Bob Scott »

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »
I didn't think you were old enough to remember the Munck Loaders.

Thanks Bob, that's the nicest thing anybody has said to me all week :)

Cheers
John
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Jim H

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://jamesharper1@sky.com
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 07:42:50 PM »
The French trawler towing the Costa Allegra has been in the news before, this from March 2010 quote: Cmdr. John Harbour of the European Union Naval Force said a spike in attacks was very likely in coming weeks. But this season, ship owners and sailors are more prepared to try to evade pirates, fight back, or have armed security onboard, raising the likelihood of violence.

"We know the monsoon is over. We know they're coming," Harbour said. "We're taking the fight to the pirates."

In the most serious skirmish Friday, six pirates attacked a vessel before breaking off and chasing the French fishing boat Torre Giulia, Harbour said. Two other French fishing vessels nearby
:-o ... :lol:

Offline peterredd

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »
Has the fishing vessel any claim to salvage..
Or what sort of payment can they look forward to..Other than fuel. there must be some claim as the vessel wont give up the tow to a tug.. I am aware when its come to salvage there are many different laws..

I was a tuan fisherman for 7 years but we never hooked one this big   [re Jim H comment]

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/fight-over-towing-of-disabled-cruise-ship/story-e6frfku0-1226285703824

cheers
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:13:26 PM by peterredd »
Just love ships

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 08:01:39 AM »
according to several sources settlement of the compensation will be via Lloyds open form by an arbitrator.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk