Author Topic: Costa ship adrift in Indian Ocean  (Read 11808 times)

Clydee

Costa ship adrift in Indian Ocean
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/International/cruise-ship-adrift-emergency-costa-cruises/story?id=15801633#.T0vo3YfoLa8

By BAZI KANANI (@bazikanani)
NAIROBI Feb. 27, 201
More than a thousand people are awaiting rescue on the Costa Allegra cruise ship after a fire broke out on board causing the luxury liner to lose power.

The ship is adrift in the Indian Ocean more than 200 miles from the Seychelles island nation off mainland Africa, an area that is infested by pirates.

This is the second emergency situation this year for Costa Cruises which is owned by Carnival Cruises. In January, 32 people were killed when the Costa Concordia capsized after hitting rocks off the Italian island of Giglio. Seven people are still missing and presumed dead.

The Italian cruise line released a statement saying no one was injured, and the blaze that broke out in the engine room in the ship's aft was quickly extinguished. A spokesman for the Italian coast guard said the Seychelles Navy is sending rescue vessels-- including tug boats-- and a plane that has spotted the Allegra's location.

LATER

Sorry Fergal.  Your post was not visible on the Forum Home page when I logged on
http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,10057.0.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:59:23 PM by Clyde Dickens »

Offline the oasis of the seas 2

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: Costa ship adrift in Indian Ocean
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:02:41 AM »
Costa is having a bad year so far.

Clydee

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:30:42 AM »
Update

An Italian cruise ship that had been adrift in the Indian Ocean after an onboard fire is being towed to a nearby island by a French fishing boat.

"The Seychelles Coast Guard can confirm that a French purse seiner vessel reached the location of the Costa Allegra last night and is towing the vessel towards Desroches island," a statement from the coast guard said.

Fire broke out in the engine room of the Costa Allegra on Monday, stranding the vessel with more than 1,000 people on board in the Indian Ocean, where Somali pirates regularly attack and capture foreign ships.

Emergency crews onboard managed to extinguish the fire after a few hours and nobody was injured, but the passengers were all moved onto the stricken ship's outer decks to ensure an easier evacuation if needed.

For more see http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-28/fishing-boat-tows-stricken-liner/3857914

Offline Chad Carleton

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:12:09 AM »
This is the second time since November 2010 that a cruise ship has had a fire in a generator room that caused the ship to become totally disabled for days.  The other one was the "Carnival Splendor" on 11. November 2010 off the Mexican west coast.  What kind of ship design is this?  I don't think this sort of thing (no back-up arrangement like maybe separated generator rooms) would have been or was acceptable on the ships of the transatlantic / transpacific days.  Anyhow, now it's been twice - Are all or many of the modern cruise ships of the same design does anyone know?

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:00:46 PM »
I wouldn't call Costa Allegra, a converted container ship dating back to the late 1960s, particularly "modern". New ships have different standards.

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »
but Carnival Splendor was new. And so was MSC Opera, she was disabled in 2011 and adrift for two days.

Carnival Splendor - ironically - a sister ship to Costa Concordia. And we remember, Concordia also suffered from a total power loss, albeit water-initiated.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:11:08 PM by Kai R »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »
One has to keep in mind if a black out is because of a auxillery engine break down or because of a fire. If the aux engine breaks down a emergency generator kicks in automatically. That,s standard on all ships, not just paxer. However if a fire is involved it is a whole different story. The fire can/could have damaged the switch board of in the ECR (Engein Control Room) which could mean, even wenn the emergency generator functions properly it is still possible that the electricity produced can not be switched "on line".
All ships have for emergency communications 24V batteries, SAT-C / VHF / MHF etc is powered by that, and certain areas lighted. But all major stuff, like for example air-con is gone. Ventilation systems are mostly down as well as cooling pumps to a certain degree.

So it is not so easy to say,,ship is new,,how that can be. I really depends on the situation. Same as with airplanes as long the fly,all is fine. same here,as long all is function normal all is fine. we have to get used to the idea that one day 100,s if not 1000,s possibly die because of a fire (smoke inhalation is the major cause of death then) not because of the resulting flames but the smoke.
My wife often wanted to make a cruise,, I told her sail with me here. Those paxers are nothing else then massive floating coffins if it comes to the worst. Think about, 1000,s
of peoples, mostly never ever been on a ship, in average rather old,  and rescue them. The Costa Concordia was in that matter a lucky case that she was laying on a rock, if she would have moved off that rock and capsized, TITANIC would/could have been overtaken in the death toll easily.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

BobS

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:47:16 PM »
Let us not, as ship enthusiasts and

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 04:17:19 PM »
Highlighting the fact that this ship was rebuilt from a 1960s Johnson Line ship is also making a mountain out of a molehill because the ship was so comprehensively rebuilt that the original has become almost irrevelant.

On the other hand the ship was rebuilt in the late 1980s, so even if it was a newbuilding, a ship of that age would not be considered "new" and "modern" by today's standards. Of course you're right in that aspect that very little remains from the original container ship, especially in the machinery department, so the fact that it's a converted cargo ship probably did not play a role in this incident.

I wonder what kind of fire suppression system was used to extinguish the fire. Considering the age of the ship, I would assume CO2, which is always released late...

BobS

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »
On Britain's ITV News today I heard the ship being referred to as 'over 40 years old'. So that's it, then! That's what everyone in UK now think they know.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 05:47:12 PM »
good points Bob

people believe everything the media says,,beats me !!!

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »
Well, after the Costa Concordia disaster everyone who had seen the Titanic movie at least twice was some kind of maritime accident expert...

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 10:32:25 PM »
Here's a picture of her in her original guise:

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=466837

As has been said, probably not a lot of the 1969 ship is still there.

Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline peterredd

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 12:44:38 AM »
Here's a picture of her in her original guise:

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=466837

As has been said, probably not a lot of the 1969 ship is still there.

Best Regards
John J.

Wow i didn't know that.. Why on earth would they convert a ship like that ..Surly it would have been just as easy to build a new ship.. You see this is what i love about this site, the information freeway on ships..

Cheers
Just love ships

BobS

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »
Not quite her original guise, John. As built she had two Munck gantry granes on deck. See this pic of sister vessel, Margaret Johnson: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1504541
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:50:18 AM by Bob Scott »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk