Author Topic: QE2 builder  (Read 2796 times)

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
QE2 builder
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »
I find the "administrative information" relating to the builders of the QE2 bewildering:
"Bae Systems Surface Ships Scotstoun, Glasgow, U.k." it says.

Is that the same as John Brown & Co., Clydebank?

Doesn't look right to me.

cheers
Uwe

BobS

Re: QE2 builder
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »
If you look again you will see an asterisk (*) alongside "Builders*:". Click on the asterisk and it will explain to you that the yard name given may have changed since the ship was built.

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »
Hi,

As far as I can work out, the former John Brown & Co. shipyard is now indeed used by BAE Systems Surface Ships. More info on Wikipedia and perhaps some of our local members can shed more light on this matter?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Naval_Ships

Kind regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:55:53 PM »
Right, I must admit, I had a suspicion to that effect, and I did notice the asterix (I didn't think of clicking on it, though). But be all that as it may, how sensible is it to claim that the QE2 was built by a company that probably didn't even exist at the time?
Going down that road would logically be equivalent to changing the name in all pictures of the liner "France" to "Norway".
just wondering.
cheers
Uwe

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »
As you suspect, Uwe, it's not the same.  The "latest name" is un infuriating symptom of a "lazy database" and this isn't the only website that suffers from it.

However in this case it's also complete nonsense.  The former Clydebank yard is a completely different place to the Yarrow yard at Scotstoun, now known as BAe Systems Surface Ships.

The only tenuous connection between the two shipyards is that for a short period of just over two years (2/1968-4/1970) they were part of Upper Clyde Shipbuilders along with yards in Govan and Linthouse. 

Neither Yarrow nor BAe have ever had any interest in the Clydebank site.  After shipbuilding ended there in 1971, the yard was sold to Marathon Oil, later UIE Scotland/Bouygues, for rig-building until it finally closed in 2001.

Sorry, Cedric, but Wikipedia says absolutely nothing about Clydebank on that page.  The site is now the campus of Clydebank College.

Perhaps the database providers will get this sorted. 

BobS

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »
If all members supplied comprehensive information with the photos they posted, there would be no need for the often-nonsensical blurb generated by the site (from not-always-totally-reliable sources).
The Equasis site offers - completely free of charge - at least the basic and often - through links to classification society sites - comprehensive details of existing ships. Meanwhile, for an annual fee of just US$20, the New Zealand-based Miramar site can provide details for ships built since the year dot.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:16:36 AM by Bob Scott »

Offline Dave Forbes

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »
The former John Brown & Co Ltd Shipbuilders yard is now occupied by the new Clydebank College Campus and the preserved 'Clydebank Titan Crane' alongside the former fitting out basin. The BAE Systems yard is further upstream on the other side of Rothesay Dock.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:59:38 PM by Dave Forbes »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk