Author Topic: Binoculars for Shipspotting  (Read 19154 times)

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Binoculars for Shipspotting
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:49:41 PM »
I am thinking of purchasing a pair of binoculars for shipspotting and birding watching. Having read various reviews, it would appear that a pair of Opticron 8 x 42 Countryman would provide quality at a reasonable price.   Could anyone please advise what binoculars they use/recommend, so that I know I am on the right track.

Clydee

Re: Binoculars for Shipspotting
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:38:54 PM »
Hi Alan

I cannot suggest a brand, but I do recommend that you research binoculars designed for nautical use i.e salt resistant and waterproof.  If you are only going to use them on land then flotation ability is not essential,

When I bought mine, many years ago, I was advised that magnification of more than 7x was too subject to shake on a waterborne platform.  I found that 7x was good enough.  There may be some, like some cameras, that have inbuilt vibration correction.

Bird watching may have different criteria.

Good luck
Clyde

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 01:32:37 AM »
Hi!
From my experience i would consider a Steiner 7x50 as a kind of standard-binocular for maritime purposes.

brgds,
Stefan

Offline JD Elvidge

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:31:04 PM »
I am thinking of purchasing a pair of binoculars for shipspotting and birding watching. Having read various reviews, it would appear that a pair of Opticron 8 x 42 Countryman would provide quality at a reasonable price.   Could anyone please advise what binoculars they use/recommend, so that I know I am on the right track.
Hi, I have been Birdwatching since 1983, so I have owned quite a few pairs of Binoculars, at the moment, I am using Leica 8x42 which are very expensive, but superb optically, they are used also for shipspotting with equally good results. Any top end Bins by Swarovski, Nikon or Zeiss are also recommended, but are expensive. If your looking for good all round bins at a reasonable price Opticron have a very good inexpensive range, and are to be recommended along with Hawke Frontier Elite 8x43 (around

Offline Mac Mackay

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipfax
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 11:21:47 PM »
From my experience what you really want binoculars for are either reading the ship's name or getting its funnel marking to help with identity.
I do not stare at the same ship for long periods of time so image shake is of no concern. I do have a tripod, but never use it. Magnification is my main concern and for that I want nothing less than 10x.
More than that is too expensive, less than that is good for looking, but not for identification at any distance.

Offline SD7

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »
I would suggest Pentax bins - either 10x50 or 12x50.

Excellent optics, and can be bought quite reasonably.

Pentax also do a very handy 8x21 mini bino. This just slips into the pocket.

Steve

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I use a pair of 8x42 Leica binoculars for shipspotting, birding and general wide-field astronomy and I think they're a great all-round binocular. Leica are excellent binoculars but are pricey, however, they are rubber-armoured and waterproof.

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
An alternative approach, given that you have a reasonably powerful zoom lens: Take a picture, zoom in on the camera's viewer, read the ship's name. I do it all the time and it works like a charm.
cheers
Uwe

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:03:46 PM »
Very many thanks to all for your suggestions - I have just found out that the Opticron Countryman range that I was looking at were discontinued in November 2011 and replaced with an improved version (BGA HD), with improved prices = upwards !  I am now scouring shops and websites for the discontinued stock (8 x 42, 10 x 42 or 10 x 50).

Offline Stephen Reynolds

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • My Ship Spotting Site
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Hi.I have used a lot of binoculars over the years and currently use Nikon 10x30's. To see ship names, IMO's,funnel details etc you need a really delicate focus and fine lenses which the Nikons have, even though I have had zoom lenses and higher magnification binocs in the past the Nikons are the best. I like them because they are small, light, inconspicuous (which depending where you go in the world can be important!)and the case fastens to my belt. I have used them shipspotting both in the UK, in Europe and in the Far East both from land and on ship (Although they are not waterproof), the only disadvantage for me is that due to the small lens diameter viewing in very poor light is not as good as the larger lenses which let more light in. When buying I would ask to take the binocs outside if possible. Pick a street sign or similar well out of sight- Test the ones you like on the sign and see which are best. I have found the better make and perhaps lower magnification to be the best. I have also found that whatever the magnfication there are always ships out sight. Hope this helps. Regards Steve

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 01:35:29 PM »
Many thanks to all for the information.  I did settle for a pair of Opticron Countryman but, have also taken Itsfoto advice and am zooming up close with the camera to get name of vessel, etc.

Offline walbag

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 03:34:49 PM »
over the years i have used many binoculars but nothing comes close to leica,i,m currently using 10x40 leica bought second hand and they are superb

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »
Just to add my twopennyworth (Strange old English expression)- I too am a birdwatcher and find that 8 x is about right as far as a balance between magnification and shake/weight is concerned. Canon have a 10x30 Image Stabilised 600g bino for

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk