ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cranes & superstructure/bridge on starboard  (Read 1428 times)
Dеnis
Home away from home

Here to spot floating objects (e.g., swans, ducks)

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2013, 06:28:37 pm »

Anyone knows the reason why on majority of multipurpose freighters cranes placed at starboard? Same goes if the ship has offset/asymmetrical superstructure. Take Jumbo Javelin, Jumbo Challenger, Deo Volente, and the Hartman M2 Runner - Oceanic, for example.

Regards,
Denis
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:25:29 am by Dеnis » Report to moderator   Logged
Dеnis
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:25:58 am »

Maybe there's a some rule?
Report to moderator   Logged
Ken Smith
Webmaster
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:36:12 am »

Denis,

There was a similar query as to why Vehicle Carriers have their Ramp on the Starboard side, I cannot off the top of my head remember what the answer was.

Regards
Ken

samson46
Not too shy to talk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 12:33:19 pm »

Port-side mounted cranes would seriously obstruct the view from the bridge during normal, red-to-red passing manoeuvres in narrow fairways.
Dеnis
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 01:15:52 pm »

What about the superstructure/bridge/helm being on the starboard then?
Kelvin Davies
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 02:58:46 pm »

If there is a rule, it is not being observed widely.
Take a look at the BBC fleet. They are all equipped with cranes on the port side.
Beside these, I have seen lots of others with cranes on the port side.
Nicholas Alexandrou
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:46:25 pm »

I would add a few thoughts about these 'side-mounted' cranes for operations' purposes. Usually these side mounted cargo gear are found on MultiPurpose vessels. Having a side-mounted cargo gear arrangement allows for maximum outreach of the cranes' booms for loading/discharging at docks with insufficient facilities.
    To take it a step further, vessel's with side mounted cranes are usually considered Heavy Lifters and work two cranes in tandem to handle very heavy loads which further reduces the booms' outreach (wish I could draw a sketch for you all)! In order to counter for the immense heeling moments when swinging 400 tonnes in tandem lift of the side of a relatively small vessel (say 4,000 light ship displacement), very high capacity ballast pumps which work automatically with gyroscopic controls are usually fitted on the opposite side of the cranes servicing dedicated ballast tanks for these heavy cargo operations.
    A final reason for side-mounted cargo gear arrangements is that these vessels usually carry 'project cargoes' such as long prefabricated segments of pipelines, wind turbine components, airplanes, motor yachts, etc. Removing the obstruction of a mast-house and crane structure from the center line of a vessel allows for the loading of these very long cargoes continuously on top of the ship's hatch covers.

Hope this answers a few questions!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: