Author Topic: Cameras and Photography Advice Forum  (Read 228490 times)

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cameras and Photography Advice Forum
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2016, 09:26:38 PM »
Patrick, Fz1000 is a very good choice. So good I gave up with Canon and collection of zoom lenses. I generally stick to Aperture or Shutter modes but if you need just a little more zoom without using digital trickery the Intelligent Auto mode is also excellent. As always read the manual, you can alter lighting settings in an instant re sun and gloomy weather and I prefer using viewfinder with horizon display.  I use vivid colours option. The video option is extremely good.
Have just uploaded DHT PHOENIX (only one on site) taken with Intelligent Auto at range of 1.7 km. Still  a bit of zoom in reserve.  http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2521027
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:38:54 PM by ChasB46 »

Offline Mohammed Alhassan

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2016, 12:14:49 PM »
Hi
Please I need help with my NIKON D5100 . My photos are not acceptable on the site and I purposely bought it for shipspotting alone. The issue is with the resolution.
Best regards
Mohammed
There's always a solution  !!

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2016, 12:23:59 PM »
You probably need to resize them, which you can do in all photo editing suites, including those bundled with cameras themselves. It's never a good idea to upload photos straight out of a camera anyway as the quality might not be as good as it should be. Use a photo editor not just for resizing but to make them look better and more acceptable for shipspotting.com too.

Brgds
Phil

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »
That does not sound like a camera issue, but you may have to reduce the size of the picture to get within the maximum size limit allowed here. Possibly you can reduce the size in your camera, but why compromise on the quality of the pictures, if you can easily reduce the size by postprocessing. There are enough free programs on the web that will let you do that.

Offline Mohammed Alhassan

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2016, 12:32:13 PM »
Thank you Phil and Peiter
There's always a solution  !!

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2016, 12:42:49 PM »
For free imaging software .. very easy to use .. try http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm . Also on the site is image resizing software, also free. I've used both in preference to Photoshop (also on my desktop)for quick improvement to photos. (I've no association with Faststone)

Clydee

« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2016, 02:10:17 PM »
Hi Mohammed

My camera is also  a NIKON D5100.  I am not technically inclined and it is always set to P.

When I need to resize the image from the camera to be less than the 4000 maximum accepted by the site, I choose 3950

Before selecting an editor I suggest you read the FAQ titled Photo Manipulation found from the Support tab on the Home page.  See http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Photo%20Manipulation

Good luck
Clyde

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2016, 03:36:46 PM »
Hope that you find a good solution, Mohammed.
Are you still in Nigeria? - we certainly appreciate photos from there - not least all the old favourites from Europe that go there in their old age!
best wishes for 2017.

David

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2017, 06:38:23 PM »
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade from my bridge camera. Know nothing about photography skills as such but wanted to get the low down on some entry level DSLR's.

Nikon or Canon? I know there's a big following out there for both models.

Regards,

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2017, 07:01:23 PM »
Was looking at Nikon to replace my FZ50 but then found the FZ1000, still a bridge but cracking lens and 20+mp - a very nice camera. Will also do 4k video :)

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2017, 07:53:45 PM »
Hi Patrick,

Is that the sort of camera where you can bolt extra lenses on and risk dust on the lens?

Never had a camera like that myself, always had a fixed lens but wondered if it was worth taking the risk (as everyone does) of indulging myself with that type of camera.

Regards,

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2017, 08:16:06 PM »
No it is a bridge with fixed lens, I too was wary of interchangeable lenses allowing dust in but also wanted a manual zoom control - the Panasonic FZ1000 has both lever and rotating collar on the lens - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-FZ1000EB-Bridge-Camera-25-400mm/dp/B00M0LQVEQ

If you're in the UK Currys/PCWorld do them so you might be able to have a look at one in the flesh before buying :)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2017, 08:22:47 PM »
Buying a DSLR with a proper zoom lens will almost always put you in a position where you do not have to change lenses at all. So don't be afraid of what you will not have to do.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »
Take Patrick's advice and get hands on. Check prices as UK Amazon link is nowhere near the cheapest. I've been using a FZ1000 for a year. Parked my Canon SLR and lenses in a cupboard.
Has horizon indicator to prevent taking ships going up/down hill; and can alter for over or under exposure with a click while viewing the exposure either through view finder or fold out/rotate LCD screen. IMHO highly recommended.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »
However do not forget that the number op MPs on an FZ1000 might by around 20 MP, the size of the sensor is only about one third of that of a proper Canon DSLR, so read for instance this.

http://newatlas.com/camera-sensor-size-guide/26684/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk