Author Topic: Cruise & Maritime Voyages (CMV) and TransOcean Tours closure  (Read 52093 times)

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
On July 14, the fleet of Cruise and Marine Voyages was seized by the British government, sparking rumors of CMV possibly shutting down due to the pandemic. Well today, CMV sadly confirmed that Cruise and Marine Voyages as well as it's German subsidiary TransOcean Cruises were shutting down after 10 and 63 years respectively due to the pandemic. They also confirm the shut down of their upcoming French line, which haven't even started operations left.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23261-cruise-maritime-voyages-placed-into-administration.html

This is the third cruise line to shut down. The fleet is laid up and they might might get scrapped due to being vintage vessels. The Pacific Dawn and the Pacific Aria were going to transfer to CMV from P&O Australia, but with the shutdown of CMV, it's likely the vessels will be scrapped instead.
Angelgreat was here. :)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cruise & Maritime Voyages (CMV) and TransOcean Tours closure
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »
"On July 14, the fleet of Cruise and Marine Voyages was seized by the British government" is incorrect.  As I understand it, they have never been "seized" by the Government.  Five of CMV's ships (ASTORIA, ASTOR, COLUMBUS and VASCO DA GAMA) in the UK were detained under port state control procedures due to deficiencies (mainly to do with crew welfare issues - late wage payments and expired contracts, widespread situations during Covid-19) - MAGELLAN was also inspected but not detained.  This was about a month ago and we do not know at present whether those deficiencies have been rectified or whether the MCA has released any of the five affected ships, but CMV have indicated that much had been resolved.

That is quite different to the closure of the CMV companies. So far as I can tell, the ownership of the ships themselves is quite separate from the UK companies, owned by individual companies run from Global Cruise Lines, Athens, and chartered to CMV.  So it remains to be seen what will happen to them (each owner will of course no longer be receiving any charter hire from CMV, so must also be compromised.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 04:30:13 PM by davidships »

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 06:13:51 PM »
"On July 14, the fleet of Cruise and Marine Voyages was seized by the British government" is incorrect.  As I understand it, they have never been "seized" by the Government.  Five of CMV's ships (ASTORIA, ASTOR, COLUMBUS and VASCO DA GAMA) in the UK were detained under port state control procedures due to deficiencies (mainly to do with crew welfare issues - late wage payments and expired contracts, widespread situations during Covid-19) - MAGELLAN was also inspected but not detained.  This was about a month ago.

Thank you for the clarification, the CMV fleet was actually detained by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency on the 23 June 2020.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 10:16:17 PM »
the CMV fleet was actually detained by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency on the 23 June 2020.
Sorry, but that is not correct either.  ASTORIA was the first to be inspected on Thursday 18 June, following many complaints from crew and their representatives - the ship had been due to sail for Portugal, apparently for repairs and certificate renewal - and she was in any case due to leave the CMV fleet at the expiry of her charter later this year.  In consequence of the examination of crew records, the ship was detained on that day and an inspection commenced on the other ships, and they were also detained on the same day, to allow inspections on Friday 19th. It's all carefully set out here: https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/uk-mca-detains-cruise-ship-following-serious-crew-welfare-reports

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 10:17:11 PM »
Ok, I can understand my error, but we still need to save the vessels as some of them are former ocean liners like the 1965 built Marco Polo (ex. Aleksandr Pushkin) and the 1948 built Astoria (ex. Stockholm). These vessels should become floating hotels like the Queen Mary and the Rotterdam. As for Magellan, Vasco da Gama, and Columbus, those are former Carnival Corporation and PLC vessels and are 20-30 years old so they might be returned. As for Astor, well that's a tricky one as she has been operated by TransOcean Tours and CMV since 1988 (TransOcean from 1988 to 1991 and again from 1996 to 2013, CMV since 2013) so she may be sold to sail. Again, we can only hope for the best.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:21:08 PM by Angelshipbig »

Offline canberra97

• Shiplover
  • Home away from home
  • Southampton Based Ship Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 02:46:23 PM »
We must start a petition on https://www.change.org/ & gather as much support as needed to save these wonderful ships from [not typed].  Who knows, maybe in case of success we can have them in our cities as trophies!  I, for one, would take the COLUMBUS (IMO 8611398) & give it to our World Ocean Museum - they love collecting vessels here (already 5 ships + a flying boat & some submersibles).

I totally admire your enthusiasm but I think that you might need a reality check 😉
Cunard Line 1983/1987
British Channel Island Ferries,B.C.I.F. 1987/1993
Geest Line 1993/1993
P&O European Ferries 1993/1993
Stena Line 1993/1996
P&O Ferries 1997/2005
Intercruises 2006/2013
Carnival Port Ops 2014
Red Funnel Ferries 2015
Intercruises 2016/2017
European Cruise Service 2017-

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 03:16:22 PM »
We must start a petition on https://www.change.org/ & gather as much support as needed to save these wonderful ships from [not typed].  Who knows, maybe in case of success we can have them in our cities as trophies!  I, for one, would take the COLUMBUS (IMO 8611398) & give it to our World Ocean Museum - they love collecting vessels here (already 5 ships + a flying boat & some submersibles).

Good idea.

Offline canberra97

• Shiplover
  • Home away from home
  • Southampton Based Ship Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 05:51:21 PM »

Good idea.

Good Idea but totally unrealistic Idea, I'm been a shipping enthusiast all my life, I joined the British Merchant Navy at 18 but I for one will not be signing the petition as it's absolutely pointless and again absolutely unrealistic!
Cunard Line 1983/1987
British Channel Island Ferries,B.C.I.F. 1987/1993
Geest Line 1993/1993
P&O European Ferries 1993/1993
Stena Line 1993/1996
P&O Ferries 1997/2005
Intercruises 2006/2013
Carnival Port Ops 2014
Red Funnel Ferries 2015
Intercruises 2016/2017
European Cruise Service 2017-

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 08:55:33 PM »
The vessels are still for sale. It's strange that the Columbus is not for sale online. This either means that they hadn't put up her listing yet or that she has already been sold off.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 01:52:34 AM »
Columbus is now for sale. They did put her listing up late. Here is the listing:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/cruise-ship--1546-1856-passengers-stock-no-s2617-3699673/

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 02:00:39 PM »
The vessels haven't been bought yet and are in danger of being sent to the scrapyard. We need to get buyers for the vessels.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 03:12:27 PM »
The vessels are still for sale. The news are even talking about the fleet being in limbo.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23395-cmv-cruise-ship-fleet-sits-in-limbo-status.html

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 05:10:55 PM »
We need to get buyers for the vessels.
Who exactly are "we"?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk