Author Topic: IMO Numbers  (Read 10860 times)

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
IMO Numbers
« on: October 10, 2019, 11:29:55 AM »
I am sure this must have been asked before, but is there a NUMERICAL list of IMO numbers?
I have a photo where the name of the vessel is obscured as are the last 3 digits of the IMO number.
It would be so much easier to plough through a few hundred numbers than thousands.
Any ideas?

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: IMO Numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 12:30:47 PM »
Russell,

Not unless you wish to buy an expensive database. Upload the picture to mystery ships and those who have access to such databases will probably be able to identify the vessel for you.

Brgds

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 03:02:32 PM »
what are the digits you can see?

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 03:31:10 PM »
If you search in MarineTraffic with just the first four digits you have and select "IMO" from the "filter" dropdown, it will list all the numbers in their database starting with those digits.
For example for "9867" it shows 97 results, out of a maximum possible of 99.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:33:47 PM by davidships »

Offline coasterwatcher

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 11:01:23 AM »
I am sure this must have been asked before, but is there a NUMERICAL list of IMO numbers?

Yes indeed. The booklets published by ST Publications list ships numerically by IMO number.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 11:59:05 AM »
The ST Publications re IMO numbers ... 3 volumes at

Offline coasterwatcher

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 03:24:23 PM »
The ST Publications re IMO numbers ... 3 volumes at

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 03:51:11 PM »
This is what their advert says .."This recently revised book is one of a three volume series that lists all the Passenger, Tankers, Cargo and Miscellaneous Vessels that may be found in European waters."

Plus
 "Altogether the three books now list over 37,500 vessels. PLEASE NOTE: We also publish a Shipping book listing all the vessels in our three volume series by alphabetical name order, followed by the vessel`s IMO number. This book is available FREE OF CHARGE to anyone who buys all three of our Ship spotting books."

Also the compendium / free book lists in alphabetical order (their words) so will still be a trawl to find ISO number because they will be "random".

I've no knowledge of the books other than the publishers wording in their adverts.

How many ships with IMO numbers still in service? ... Equasis statistics of 2017 = 90715.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:05:18 PM by ChasB46 »

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 06:17:45 PM »
Further to my previous.. Ian Allan Ocean Ships 16th and 17th Editions list IMO numbers in order in the Index as well as ship names and associated company fleets.  This will not be all/ only of those shipping companies in the book but Russell Judge (original question) might be lucky to spot the IMO he wants.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:21:52 PM by ChasB46 »

Offline coasterwatcher

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 08:16:48 PM »
This is what their advert says .."This recently revised book is one of a three volume series that lists all the Passenger, Tankers, Cargo and Miscellaneous Vessels that may be found in European waters."

Plus
 "Altogether the three books now list over 37,500 vessels. PLEASE NOTE: We also publish a Shipping book listing all the vessels in our three volume series by alphabetical name order, followed by the vessel`s IMO number. This book is available FREE OF CHARGE to anyone who buys all three of our Ship spotting books."

Also the compendium / free book lists in alphabetical order (their words) so will still be a trawl to find ISO number because they will be "random".

I've no knowledge of the books other than the publishers wording in their adverts.

How many ships with IMO numbers still in service? ... Equasis statistics of 2017 = 90715.

I realise that you are at a disadvantage if you do not possess the books. However the link that you provide takes you to some sample pages. I have checked the first 20 vessels on these pages - only 4 of these 20 are European.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 08:25:56 PM »
Coasterwatcher ..I missed the sample page option. I have therefore learnt not to trust the publishers blurb too much.  They might sell more copies if they highlighted that IMO numbers etc. were not just European. Russell Judge now has more than one option to follow re his IMO quest and I have learnt another  IMO source as well. Thanks.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 01:01:13 AM »
@Russell
Did you find it using the MarineTraffic database?

Offline SD7

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 08:54:17 AM »
I have a photo where the name of the vessel is obscured as are the last 3 digits of the IMO number.
It would be so much easier to plough through a few hundred numbers than thousands.
Any ideas?

It's fairly simple to build your own list using a spreadsheet. The first six digits rise sequentially, while the seventh is a check digit derived from the previous six numbers.

So if you start at, say, 960000, the next one will be 960001 and so on.

The check digit would be calculated with the 1st number multiplied by 7, the 2nd by 6, the 3rd by 5 and so on. All the answers are added up and the last digit from the answer is the check digit.

Using that calculation we can determine that 960000 has a check digit of 9, which is assigned to a Vietnamese cargo ship THAI BINH 35.

960001 has a check digit of 1 which is assigned to another Vietnamese general cargo ship, ROYAL 16 (which IHS bizarrely call a bulk carrier!)

If you don't want to go to all the fuss of calculating the check digit, you can just type in the first few numbers to the search facility on Marine Traffic and a list will pop up.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 11:41:37 AM »
If you use Miramar Ship Index, just enter the 4 digits in the ID box and search. You will get all vessels with the 4 digits in the IMO number (in numerical order), just scan down through the pages to find all the vessels starting with those numbers.

Offline OceanCraft

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.oceancraft.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 12:21:56 PM »
Russell.  What is the partial name and IMO number you have.  We have our own Access database and we can search for you if you want the answer quickly.  Please advise.  By the way, our database currently lists 303022 IMO numbers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk