Author Topic: CAPTCHA issue  (Read 12154 times)

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
CAPTCHA issue
« on: April 03, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »
V1 of reCAPTCHA shut down on the 1st of march... Which means the CAPTCHA on the "contact us" form doesn't seem to work. Can we upgrade to the new version?
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: CAPTCHA issue
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 06:16:04 PM »
Thanks for spotting that  - I'm forwarding to IT

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »
what actually is the point of the Captcha system - personally I find it a bind and often very difficult to decipher

Allan

Offline Pilot Frans

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sanderse Shipphoto
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
Allan RO,
I think the first version of this programm has been closed by the maker.
This was the version with the difficult letters to read.
The new version. Version 2 is with pictures (disadvantage is that you must have good skills of the English language to make a good choice in pictures.

When you what to report an error (by a picture on shipspotting), without adding a command. You need this Captcha.
But shipspotting.com is linking to version 1 of captcha. It ain't possible now to report an error

regards
Frans

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 04:46:49 PM »
Frans: That would perhaps explain why have never had a response from admins when I have reported errors with uploaded photos

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 05:51:25 PM »
Google have now developed a much simpler system, called "reCAPTCHA V2", which many sites have changed to, and which operates differently and is very user-friendly - most of the time.  My experience with sites that use it is that every now and again its algorithms produce an uncertain result, and it defaults to a visual CAPTCHA (usually the one requiring clicks on a grid of photos where there are road signs, cars or shop fronts (that's the one referred to by Pilot Frans - which does indeed require one to understand the question, though they often repeat the same questions with different photos)
https://support.google.com/recaptcha/?hl=en
https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/

Whether there are technical down-sides, I do not know -
but all this has been referred to IT, as I mentioned the other day, and we will get it sorted asap.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 06:00:43 PM by davidships »

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 12:32:44 PM »
But in the end  I can not see why we have to bother with any Captcha system in order to report an error.   It's just more pointless time and effort, that seemingly achieves absolutely nothing.

Allan

Offline Bj

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »
Hello
Will report wrong IMO number
The captcha : V1 SHUTDOWN ON 2018-03-31
Under reading : g.co/recaptha/Upgrade
????

Offline P.F. KERR

• Photo Administrator
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 09:50:24 PM »
I sent some messages re corrections to vessel data two days ago and they have been actioned already.
At the CAPTCHA box, I simply enter V1 SHUTDOWN, then send the message and immediately receive a message of acknowledgement from the site.

Cheers
Peter Kerr

Offline P.F. KERR

• Photo Administrator
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 08:57:45 PM »
The CAPTCHA problem is getting more difficult. When the old version stopped, I would type V1 SHUTDOWN in the dialog box and the message would immediately be sent, and acknowledged.
In the last couple of weeks I'm having to repeat this process three or four times before confirmation is received to say the message has reached admin.
Does anyone have a better suggestion about what to do, or if there is a work-around that would solve the problem?
Thanks
Peter

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 09:27:01 PM »
I don't know, Peter, but forwarded to Henrik/IT

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 07:48:02 PM »
Henrik told me on Saturday that he was getting down to it.
I asked him to post here when it is sorted.

Offline P.F. KERR

• Photo Administrator
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 11:25:20 PM »
This CAPTCHA issue has become near impossible. I've attempted twenty times to send a message about correcting ship details but have not been successful. I fill the box with V1 SHUTDOWN and this has worked after five or six attempts in the past, if you're patient enough.
I have to say that the need for this "hurdle" to communication never seemed necessary in the first place.
Does anyone else communicate with the administration using the reporting tool? If so, how do you manage without masses of frustration?
Is there any other way of sending a message that avoids this arguably pointless step in the procedure?
I have been kindly notified that the IT administrator/s have been investigating and I appreciate that. I wonder if they could put some thought into circumventing the whole CAPTCHA process and so make the communication much easier.
Thanks.
Peter Kerr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk