Author Topic: Shipspotting or post anything what does not float anymore  (Read 13736 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Shipspotting or post anything what does not float anymore
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 02:37:45 PM »
@Bob
Well, agree with you on those special pics,, that was also one of the aim of my initial posting. Sometimes one signs in and all you see ships pictures from public domains.
I don,t mind at all when peoples posting pictures of older vessels which they took and posting now while they are "old" (as was mentioned, though I don,t know what old means in that context, guess I am too with now 60)
As mentioned in an earlier post I have 5-6000 pictures of vessels stand by to be posted and on a lot still to be worked on before doing so. I,d guess I have another 10000+ or so from older times. So I will be most probably belong to those older guys posting older ships.
Guess has also to do with the changing of postings, there was a time one saw only container vessels, special when a big one arrived in northern EU, same angle of the same vessel again and again,,but that fades usually, but always those old ships from the public domains,,really think that should be banished from this site.
That,s my personal opinion and not a request. But looking at some people which posted before a lot regularly and one sees them less and less posting including me (somewhere around 22000 pics I have on this site) up to not seeing them at all anymore, tells me that I am may be not alone with that view. Don,t want to mention names,,but 2-3 I know and exchanged mails and they sounded similar as to that what I wrote here.
I never said or thought that this site is bad or no good,,just that the aim and direction somehow got more and more lost.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 03:26:49 PM »
Captain Ted

You are right in your comments, but a little of naval history is not bad, I also have old ships photos mainly owned by latinamerican ship's owners but I posted all of them in Shipsnostalgia, and considering the fact about the number of photos taken for each ship, well that point can be summarized as to how many ports called each ship, for instance in Chilean ports you can take all kind of photos of vessels arriving from Europe, North America and Asia, and many times will be the same  photos taken at UK, Netherlands, Canada, USA on so on.

Regards

Tomi.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 04:47:56 PM »
Shall we keep this in proportion please.
The proportion of older photos (say pre-2000) being posted here is tiny - of the 550 photos posted in the last 24 hours, I counted 12 (twelve)!  And that is a mixture of members' own photos, "with permission from friends" and a few archival photos.  The proportion may be different on other days - higher or even lower.

It is true that, on the whole, these earlier photos are relatively popular in terms of views (but rarely bumped up by linked views), so they do appear regularly on the front page - one of three at the moment, and likely to be zero shortly).  From observation, it does happen occasionally that three older photos appear, though I do not recall ever seeing three "public archive" images on the front page at the same time (though that is not to say that it has not happened).

Choosing what one wants to see according to one's interests is only one click away from the front page - choose a category, or the most recent postings, a ship, or the most viewed in 24 hours.  Your favourite photographer or location are only two clicks away.

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »
I personally like both old and new photos and and do not see any problem.What surprise me that some old photos are of better quality than some new ones.Unfortunately,these days some do not use other mode than Automatic and produce quality like those from 50's. It is pleasure to see some oldies here,of course taken with film camera.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk