Author Topic: DFDS  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
DFDS
« on: October 08, 2016, 07:53:49 AM »
I have just returned from one of my photo tours of NW Europe (see trip report later) but for reasons I will not go into here, I went out Dover-Calais rather than my usual Dover-Dunkirque.
The "Cote de" class of ship on this route are useless for cross Channel photography!
The stern deck is either obstructed by the foot passenger loading ports or has perspex type sheeting (presumably for wind protection) preventing any decent shots. In addition, there are no seats and although the next deck up appears to be unobstructed, it is reserved for truck drivers only and the stairs padlocked.
Returning from Dunkirque on the "Seaways" class was far better.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: DFDS
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 07:33:29 AM »
Some of it is a legacy of the Seafrance days. However you must realise that if you are on deck taking photographs, you are not spending money in the shops, bars, and food outlets. That is why you are not encouraged onto the open decks. Most short sea ferry crossings adopt that mantra now.

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »
Fortunately Stena vessels on the Harwich-Hook route provide a brillant platform for photography.

:)

Offline Hawkeye

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 10:53:40 PM »
I agree with you on that fact Derek. I can get onto the top deck. The view from the Heli pad is great for shooting both sides of the ship.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk