Author Topic: "Shared" photos  (Read 81858 times)

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
Re: "Shared" photos
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2016, 06:57:33 AM »
My boring view is this: If you want to promote your photo, unless if it aint of a cruiseship sinking or a ship that is in the news or whatever, is to share it on sosial media. Otherwise it drowns in other photos. I have seen fantastic photos on this site with say... 30 views that should have had 3000.

So that is the way to do it. I am doing it my own way, by only posting photos here, and not sharing.
I think in a way the photo shall speak for itself. But understand, if someone would like to share their pictures in a broader way.

Ye olde oldschool Tomas

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2016, 08:52:19 PM »
May I request that members refrain from spreading their personal dislike of linked/shared photos in the Photo Comments of members' galleries.  Actual or thinly-disguised attacks on other members are not acceptable - harrassment is not acceptable on Shipspotting.

Those indulging in this should read the Code of Conduct, especially "I will not use the Forum or photograph comments with the sole intention of irritating others."  Any member who is receiving such photo comments is welcome to advise us at [email protected] and we will take appropriate action, including removal the inappropriate comments.

The place for discussing this is right here, not on other members' photographs.  If you have already had your say on this thread that is fine - if you haven't, then you are welcome to do so.  However, the question of how the "most viewed/popular" galleries are ranked is with our IT head, and any further announcement will also be made here.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:03:59 PM by davidships »

Offline Brett Moore

• Just can't stay away
  • Duncan Dock, Table Bay Harbour, Cape Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2016, 08:55:02 PM »
Very well put @davidships, fully agree and support you 100%. Brett

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2016, 11:32:33 AM »
I fully agree with you David.
I never understood this discussion anyway.
Of course I'm (unstoppable)  in tears that my two pics on this site never made it into the top three of the day.

Personally I'm not very 'digitized' but I think we all have to accept how things are going in the modern digital world.

Cheers,
Roy

Offline Petros Psarras

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • News about Piraeus
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2016, 02:58:55 PM »
I think that if you can't stop the sharing  of photos ,it would be a good idea , or even if you stop the "sharing option" to show us the sources of where they took the likes, apart from facebook...

Just from curiosity   ;D
Once at Piraeus ,forever at Piraeus!

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2016, 06:55:14 PM »
May I request that members refrain from spreading their personal dislike of linked/shared photos in the Photo Comments of members' galleries.  Actual or thinly-disguised attacks on other members are not acceptable - harrassment is not acceptable on Shipspotting.

Those indulging in this should read the Code of Conduct, especially "I will not use the Forum or photograph comments with the sole intention of irritating others."  Any member who is receiving such photo comments is welcome to advise us at [email protected] and we will take appropriate action, including removal the inappropriate comments.

The place for discussing this is right here, not on other members' photographs.  If you have already had your say on this thread that is fine - if you haven't, then you are welcome to do so.  However, the question of how the "most viewed/popular" galleries are ranked is with our IT head, and any further announcement will also be made here.

well said david,I totally agree with this.

Rgds
Hannes.

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2016, 09:24:51 AM »
I was wondering what the status is on this topic.
Any decissions being made?

rgds Stan

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2016, 02:00:57 PM »
Was any action taken about this perceived problem?

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2016, 06:26:30 PM »
Just an update.
IT were indeed asked to tweak the system so that the linking of photos did not affect the ranking of "most viewed" photos.  I do not believe that the software changes needed were at all complicated.

Shortly thereafter, the direct problem seemed to have disappeared but, despite requests, I have not been told whether any delinking has actually been implemented, or whether the handful of members whose linking was causing concern decided not to do so any more.  I think that it might be the latter, so if members see any resurgence, please report back here.

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2016, 01:12:46 PM »
some folks will never learn....

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2016, 03:14:28 PM »
Hi Stan
Have you noticed it happening again? I haven't so far.

David

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2016, 02:07:32 AM »
Thanks for your off-forum reply, Stan.
There do indeed seem to be some very recently, though it is not the former group of members now.  I am following up again with IT. 

Offline James Scott

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2017, 05:19:25 PM »
Unfortunately I see a new action by at least two members sharing again. Ordinary pics on the top blocking really top's pics. Casually you can find those links on Facebook. I think it's no good to see the same tug again and again on the most viewed, especially if those pics brings nothing new. Casually, again, you can see those pics with striking colours, not real.
I hope no offense anybody.
RGDS.
James.

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2017, 10:24:59 AM »
Still....mr James Scott has a point here.

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »
Hey, at least the site isn't like the rest of the internet (e.g. Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc), where you can just buy promotion of your posts. Here you still at least would have to put in a huge amount of legwork on your own part to be on top if you so desire.

V/r,
Kyle
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk