Author Topic: COSCO SHIPPING PANAMA - what an idiotic name for a ship  (Read 9112 times)

Offline SD7

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
COSCO SHIPPING PANAMA - what an idiotic name for a ship
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
The first ship to transit the enlarged Panama Canal recently was the COSCO SHIPPING PANAMA

Fairly apt, I suppose.

But the vogue of putting a company name followed by, well almost anything, simply shows an industry devoid of any imagination when it comes to names of ships.

At one time you could learn a thing or two about places in a particular country, famous people, rivers, tribes, or even Latin names for shells.

But now the whole industry has become so dumbed down that I guess a 5-year old has now been put in charge of coming up with ships' names (Boaty McBoatface illustrates this point perfectly).

COSCO SHIPPING PANAMA is perhaps one of the most absurd of this craze, probably on an equal footing to the 'text speak' that's crept in too - NAVIG8, GENER8 and so on.

Someone once said that it was to underpin the 'brand' so that clients around the world would identify with a particular company more easily.

Well I'm sorry. If people are too stupid to put 2+2 together, then they shouldn't have left school.

In the OCL days, ships were named with the suffix 'BAY' and became known as "the Bay boats". Everyone knew what they were, and that was fine. Then P&O merged with Nedlloyd to create a fleet of ships with a dreadful prefix.

In the days prior to Nedlloyd merging many Dutch companies, ships had a suffix of 'Kerk' - Serooskerk, Laarderkerk, Westerkerk and so on. Others were prefixed STRAAT or NEDER. People in the industry knew exactly what ships they were and what company they were dealing with.

Sadly we're now in an age where we aren't allowed to think for ourselves. The shipping industry is now a business that seems to be run by accountants who, as Monty Python pointed out many years ago, "are too boring to be of interest."

Come on people! Be more imaginative! COSCO SHIPPING PANAMA?... yawn! 

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: COSCO SHIPPING PANAMA - what an idiotic name for a ship
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »
SD7 - what an idiotic name for a person  ::)

Offline SD7

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 02:01:41 PM »

It's an old nick-name based on my initials.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 02:27:37 PM »

It's an old nick-name based on my initials.

it sounds like half an SD14. Anyway, names now starting with Navig8 or Gener8 are much more painful to look at....

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 03:16:30 PM »
The name is no more idiotic than Maersk Panama; MSC Panama, APL Panama, YM Panama, Nedlloyd Panama etc, etc

Offline SD7

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 03:38:24 PM »
The name is no more idiotic than Maersk Panama; MSC Panama, APL Panama, YM Panama, Nedlloyd Panama etc, etc

I agree. That was the point of the post. COSCO SHIPPING PANAMA was the catalyst.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »
She was renamed for the inaugural transit

"Originally named Andronikos, the vessel was renamed to honor and pay respect to the country of Panama and the Canal."

http://maritime-connector.com/news/port-and-shipbuilding/the-first-transit/

From "Latest News"

Offline Simon Olsen

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 04:55:38 PM »
Must accountants be blamed for everything? And if an accountant really had been responsible for this (instead of the marketing types who thought it was a good idea to rename P&O's vessels as PANDO and haven't looked back since) he obviously wasn't thinking of the extra expenditure on paint.....

cheers
Simon

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 08:22:43 PM »
Well,, to a certain point I must agree with SD7,, imagination for ship names is not really wanted a prime virtue anymore .
But then it comes all down to easy and that means texting/twitter etc with no thinking.
Isn,t that the future we all wanted. A family sits at the dinner table and texting each other because
in whole sentences talking is lost to them ?

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 09:00:13 PM »
Its just a branding exercise for both parties . . .
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline Pier Master

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • The Pier Master
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »
Boaty McBoatface, now there is an idiotic name for a ship!
Blistering barnacles...

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 01:42:58 AM »
You are completely right SD7, here in Chile in the always good time the ship's owners named the ships with chilean rivers, cities, trees names, such as:

C

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk