Author Topic: New Trip Report  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
New Trip Report
« on: October 15, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
Another 5 day trip in N. Europe from Dunkerque to Kiel and back via Zeebrugge,Terneuzen, Antwerp & Rotterdam. Only 1 Bulker in Dunkerque and 1 Car Carrier in Zeebrugge. Loads of shipping passing and entering canal at Terneuzen. In my opinion, Antwerp is becoming quieter (too far from the sea?)
New(ish) docks on Western bank increasingly difficult to access mainly due to on-going construction works. Eastern docks still best viewed from near Boudewijnsluis (dock side)and Berendrechtsluis (river side)Anyone get any views of Delwaidedok? Is it me or are the companies/authorities doing their best to prevent photogrpahy by placing old unused containers just where we could get a decent shot?
Rotterdam was better with my usual place, the Smickel Inn on Maasmond where I met a Belgium-based UK enthusiast and we had a good discussion about shipping in general and ports visited. Again I chose a weekend so I could safely access Missouriweg; also drove the length of Beerweg on south side of Mississippihaven.
Went back to Rendsburg on the NOK but stayed on the South bank at the "Hotel Schutzenheim am Kanal" but it was not quite "am Kanal"! Might try the Kanal-cafe which appears to have rooms to let. Lunched on the N. bank at the "Bruckenterrassen" Good food, not too expensive and a great view albeit on the wrong side, However, the weather was poor so the sun was not an issue.
I have never haad much luck in Hamburg or Bremen so I might give the harbour tours a try next time.
Is there any point in visiting Wilhelmshaven or Emden? Any advice most welcome.
Back to Rotterdam and Antwerp then to Zeebrugge (sun in wrong direction for car carriers!)and Dunkerque for home.
970 photos taken of about 400 ships mostly too dark for submission but a couple of rarities.
Hope to do it all again in April 2016.

Offline PietB

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: New Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 06:03:41 PM »
Dear Russell

How nice to have a real trip report to read on the trip report forum! Members, more please!

I've done roughly the same trip regularly for the last few years - mostly excellent locations to visit.
You ask about Emden and Wilhemshaven. Emden is accessible by the lock gates but whether it is worth the drive is debatable. Wilhemshaven has some nice museum ships to visit - mainly warships - but otherwise probably not worth a specific visit. The best location in that area of NW Germany (on a nice day) is Otterndorf. Excellent views of all Elbe traffic, including vessels going into the NOK. Also a very nice cafe/bar to hold-up in. Cuxhaven has similar views.

Best

Piet

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 02:39:22 PM »
Dear Piet
Many thanks for your information re Emden & Wilhelmshaven.
I will definitely take up your suggestion of Otterndorf.
Looking on Google maps, I have seen 2 cafe/bars near where you indicated. I might have to try them both!!
I did stay in Cuxhaven a couple of years ago but the weather was very poor. According to booking.com, most of the hotels in the area are already booked for April & May; is this a very popular destination?

Thanks again

Russ

Offline PietB

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 02:51:18 AM »
Hullo Russell

Yes, it is a very popular holiday destination with lots of seaside entertainment. You might wish to think about purchasing a NW Germany regional railcard - unlimited rail travel for 24hrs for about EU20 - which would cover all of the NW ports including Hamburg. Exceptionally good value. I too spent a very cold and chilly few hours at Cuxhaven, which is why I retreated to the warmth of the Otterndorf bar - with perfect view of passing shipping.

Best

Piet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk