ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Category standards: Harbour overview  (Read 1181 times)
davidships
Webmaster
Top Poster

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2015, 01:47:46 am »

The standard currently reads:
A. The photo must demonstrate the characteristics of a harbour, for example a comprehensive overview with clearly visible features, occupied/unoccupied berths, or loading/unloading facilities.

B. Distant views and shots where harbour features are a small part of the image may be considered for deletion. Members should understand the limitations of their camera.
General standards such as sharpness, level horizon and obstructions apply to this category, but clearly not those related to individual ships themselves.

Please add your views on this topic below, before 13 November 2015.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:50:50 am by davidships » Report to moderator   Logged
Pier Master
Photo Corrections
Home away from home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 07:05:45 am »

Having 'reviewed' over 10,000 harbour photos, and having amended the title fields to most of them to show the port/harbour image instead of 'A busy day' or 'A bright morning' or 'Cranes' etc,   the current standards...

http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Harbour%20overview%20images#138
http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Harbour%20overview%20images#139

are still very good. So, I am more than happy to keep the existing standards.

Regards, Brian AKA the Pier Master

Report to moderator   Logged

Blistering barnacles...
Phil English
Photo Administrator
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:19:31 am »

I agree that the current category standard is worded fine. However, it does not seem to stop many people using 'harbour overviews' as a dumping ground for any old rubbish which doesn't meet any other category or site standard. I'd go as far as to say that I'd like to see this category binned completely but that is just my personal viewpoint.

Brgds
Phil
Pier Master
Photo Corrections
Home away from home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 11:52:36 am »

I think binning the entire category is a bit harsh as there are some very good photographs in it. It just needs trimming a bit...

Regards, Brian.

Blistering barnacles...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: