Author Topic: "Liking" a photo  (Read 12892 times)

Offline Andrew (Aushiker)

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
"Liking" a photo
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:57:02 AM »
Hi

I notice that one can "like" a photo posted by another photographer which I think is a great and quick way to give feedback.  However I notice that I cannot do this. I can see the words "Like" but have no button available to me.

I assume this is because I am a new member and must satisfy certain criteria but as I haven't had any luck searching on this I thought I would post a newbie question :)

Thanks
Andrew

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: "Liking" a photo
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:07:49 AM »
Hmm I wonder if I am doing something wrong then.  I just grab a screen grab of an uploaded photo. I can see the Like and No Likes text below the photo but nothing to click on.

Thanks
Andrew

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 11:17:52 AM »
There is no button to click on. You just put your cursor over the word 'like' and press your mouse button.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:12:53 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Phil. Ever since it was introduced to Shipspotting.com I thought it wasn't working for me either ;D
You live and learn...

Cheers,
Jens

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:24:28 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Phil. Ever since it was introduced to Shipspotting.com I thought it wasn't working for me either ;D
You live and learn...

Cheers,
Jens

Same for me too Jens. Yes, you do live and learn!

Best Regards
John
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 02:58:53 AM »
There is no button to click on. You just put your cursor over the word 'like' and press your mouse button.

Thanks Phil. WOrked it out. I was expecting the cursor to change shape when I hovered over the word like and when nothing happened I assumed it was not working.

Regards
Andrew

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:18:44 AM »
It doesn't work as you'd expect it to. I fiddled with it for a while when I had nothing better to do and worked it out  ;D

Brgds
Phil

Offline Brett Moore

• Just can't stay away
  • Duncan Dock, Table Bay Harbour, Cape Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 07:21:33 AM »
Good day,
I 'discovered' how to use it and now do so on a regular basis. I think it is a great feature. Does the 'poster' get notified about how many 'likes' were recorded ?
Brgds,
Brett

Offline Linesman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 10:41:58 PM »
Thanks for the explanation as to how one 'Likes' a photo.  I too had puzzled over what to do and now I know.  Agree it is a good way to show appreciation of members photos.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 11:18:05 PM »
It is potentially a good feature, but has not caught on much so far.  Perhaps, this thread will give it greater prominence (thank you for starting it, Andrew).

If its use increases significantly, it would be the preferred basis for selecting "most liked" galleries, in preference to the current "most viewed".  But we are  still some way from achieving wide enough use - very few photos reach even a modest 10 likes.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 02:39:45 PM »
I am not a fan of the system, it smells too much like facebook, and it may create some groups of people who will lawaus like each others photos.

Let's drop the whole thing altogther. Why is it important how many time a shots gets seen? I am here not looking for the best/most popular shots, but for specific shots of specific ships. A good shot is for me one that shows a ship of which I seldomly see a picture.

Offline Yvon Perchoc

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 02:52:45 PM »
Note that all the photos have potentially one 'like' as the sender of the pic can clic the button for his own photos ...  ;D
Yvon

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 04:14:13 PM »

That is a fact Yvon, but it can only be done once by a member so it is not really a problem in that sense, I think the real reason it has not caught on is because it is impersonal, you do not know who created the like neither do you know the reason it was liked.

For the record it was not requested, it was imposed as a result of discussions with regard to complaints about hits and comments to photographs some years ago.

I was not entirely sure about the idea at the time and further discussions were held in an attempt to develop the idea to make it a little more user friendly, sadly nothing happened.

Regards
Ken

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 07:35:09 PM »
I can give 2-10 likes in one go to a single photo, thanks to a double-click button on my mouse & my browser being slow at processing requests sometimes - while it processes, I keep fast clicking & give up to 10 likes, but that's rare...  mostly it's 2-3 likes during such way per photo.   Fun, but makes no sense anyway - I'm not having a collection of liked photos somewhere in my account, nor the member knows who exactly liked the photo.
Regards,
Denis

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 08:35:20 PM »

That is very interesting Denis, I was not aware that could be done, I have just been playing around with my mouse and all I can do is add a Like, if I click again then not Like returns, however you have made a point which obviously will need to be looked into.
Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk