Author Topic: Photo thief on Marine Traffic.com  (Read 9488 times)

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
Photo thief on Marine Traffic.com
« on: December 17, 2014, 06:25:09 PM »
Just by accident I noticed that one of my photographs was posted on Marine Traffic.com
under the copyright name of a Tom McDonagh.

My several requests to Marine Traffic to get my proper copy right to my photograph went unanswered and without any results.

Even finally thanks to the help of Ken Smith, they gave me my proper credit, but it took
several months.

I am just wondering how many more of my approx. 4,000 photographs on Shipspotting are appearing elsewhere with somebody else's copyright on it.....

Many people, shipping companies etc. have used my photos but have always given proper credit.

Offline Groovypict

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Photo thief on Marine Traffic.com
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:54:05 AM »
This does seem to be a widespread problem, not only with the 2 sites featuring in the forum at the moment. I also have found my photos in other locations without the appropriate copyright or photo credit.

Maybe there is a way for Shipspotting to put an automatic watermark on photos with the up loaders name and copyright,,

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:31:15 AM »
Unfortunately, water marks can easily be removed.

I really don't mind sharing my photos and that others use them and/or post them
elsewhere, as long as they give proper credit.

But seeing my photographs with somebody else's name as copyright, really gets up
my hackles!

Offline David Meare

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/16118167@N04/7387123642/

Quite by chance I found my photo of the USNS Card on Flickr quite a few years ago. The poster had not only helped himself to the photo but also included a link to the LOF-News web site to add some substance to his posting.

Having looked at some of his other thousands of posts I got the impression that he had no concept of copyright and was just collecting and posting anything that he liked the look of.

I added a disparaging comment to his post which presumably he has never read, however, since I left it, it has had a further 800+ views and I doubt he has gained much credit for his efforts.

David Meare
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:50:02 AM by David Meare »

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:24:58 AM »
I have found a number of my photos on marinetraffic.com under other people's names before, but the site was always quick to deal with this, after I contacted them.

Also, I've seen my photos used in blogs etc. without mentioning of the source, but this is something I can not control because, just as Ken said, the solution would be simply to stop putting photos on the net.

Also, whenever a ship makes the news, chances are various sites will use shipspotting.com as a source. Like these days with MSC Oscar: some sites will mention the source...like this one:

http://www.themeditelegraph.com/it/shipping/shipowners/2014/12/11/ecco-oscar-nave-piu-grande-del-mondo-pSKFHRjCy7ZActXSbio7aN/index.html

...and some won't:

http://www.americanshipper.com/Main/News/MSC_will_put_largest_containership_ever_into_servi_58996.aspx?source=Little4

::)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 12:09:27 PM »
As Ken said,, don,t load up,,and everything is fine,,but the fun is gone too!!!
Guess in general we will have to live with the copyright infringement until Bill Gates robs you one and then sue him for 1 billion !!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 03:20:14 PM »
Dream on, Captain Ted. Bill Gates will be able to hire a more expensive and sleezier lawyer.

By putting your pics in the public domain, you basically give permission for others to enjoy and also to use your posted images.

Courtesy would expect you to get at least credit; posting without credit, I can still consider "borrowing," while posting them under your own name, however, is clearly "theft."

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
I agree on that Dirk
and yes Billy would have better laywers,,but then,,when it goes over billions,,other lawyers coming out of the holes,,,so there is hope after all :-))
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 11:17:57 PM »
Now wait a minute, Captain Ted.... earlier you said a billion;

now you're talking about billions (i.e. plural).

I think I'd better get into the game and claim my share.....

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 12:23:50 AM »
Yep,, don,t be late :-)) !!!!!

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 09:52:49 PM »
The photograph I am referring to in this forum topic of copy right violation is that of
Canadian fishing vessel/cash buyer/reefer East Isle:

www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1701057

The chances that Tom McDonagh could have taken this very same image at this remote location
in British Columbia at that very same moment, are nil.

Dirk Septer
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:55:52 PM by dirk septer »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 10:32:05 PM »
hi dirk

I agree,,it is practically less then NIL of a chance !!!

brgds
capt ted

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 12:55:25 AM »
Unfortunately image theft is a common thing and no matter how much the security is applied to websites to prevent such actions people only find other ways around it.  Ken made a very good point "don't upload it".  I like many post my images to several websites, I like many have encountered my images on other sites with the poster claiming it to be theirs when I know for a fact that it is my image, but what can I do?? Nothing, but respectfully request them or the site in question to remove it.  I can't complain to ken or other sites wm's when I have no proof of which site the image was obtained from.  But I do ask that anybody looking at my images and would like to use it that I would really appreciate that you ask me or at least acknowledge me as the photographer and where you sourced the image from.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:50:37 AM by Glenn Towler »

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
May be this is a possible solution:

https://creativecommons.org/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk