Author Topic: It is really disapointing.....  (Read 38587 times)

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
It is really disapointing.....
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »
Once again we see threads throwing mud at administrators, there has been too much of this recently. These people give their time freely, and try and work for the benefit of all site users, and should not be the subject of abuse, rude complaints, and in one case recently, downright untrue comments.

I realise that sometimes cultural differences and use of a second language for some posters mean that perhaps they come across as more aggressive than they mean to be, but, nevertheless, some recent posts have been unacceptable.

Remember, this site is free, and run by volunteers. It's not always perfect, and things do go wrong, but we should be grateful for the time and effort put in by the volunteers, and accept that things will not always be just how we would like it.

The rules are there to ensure the site runs as smoothly as possible. The rules about deletion of photographs seem to be the most emotive and subjective, but, that will always be the case, if you don't like it don't upload your photographs. The only suggestion I would make in this respect would be that if a photograph that doesn't meet the site rules is the first photographs of a vessel, then perhaps it could be given provisional acceptance until better photographs are uploaded. The photographer should be informed of this, and that the photograph could be deleted in future.

However it is not only photographs that have resulted in unacceptable posts. Several unnecessary posts were made a few weeks ago when the site had server problems. A lot of people put in a lot of work to put things right, but that wasn't good enough for some people.

Again, remember this site is free, and run by volunteers. They do not deserve abuse, even when things go wrong.

Offline B.Clark

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: It is really disapointing.....
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:25:19 AM »
Well said, keep up the good work, it is much appreciated

Offline Kristian

• Ripping Yarns
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • H.C. Shipping & Chartering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »
I do wonder at times whether people indeed have far too much time on their hands. Either that, or an incapability to put it to good use.

Why kick holes out of something you've not had the temerity or wherewithal to establish yourself. Kids in glass houses, and all that. This site's here because some folk put time and effort into making sure it is, and it gives a forum we'd otherwise not have available to us.
Was that chat moribund? I don't think so.

Offline David Mellors

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »
 :)I think that this is a wonderful site - the best for shipping on the web, and long may it continue.

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »
Hello,

May I put my opinion forward?

I totally agree with everything said. Yes, I freely admit that I've been a bit of a pleb in the past and I'd like to apologise for any bad feeling I may have conveyed especially around Deletions of photo's. All in all, it's something that has to be accepted.

As for the site, well, whatever happened to it a few months ago I must have missed it but I would like to say, as far as I am aware, it's grown to become the most comprehensive site on the Net. The Administrators/programmers do a sterling job and it's a pleasure to be part of a wonderful community of like-minded individuals.

Regards,

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 03:56:54 PM »
Disappointing ? The thread whereby admins spoke of "abuse by certain members" - who dared to voice their opinion - was meanwhile deleted by the webmaster from the site. The entry by Tomas containing a blatant abuse was allowed and probably also considered by the webmaster as "supportive". If this is the way Shipspotting is heading, then thanks, but no thanks. Please proceed without me.

Robert Smith.
Member since August 9th., 2005.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:06:13 PM by Robert Smith »

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 04:26:25 PM »
I have to agree about the goddamn comment..

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »
Disappointing ? The thread whereby admins spoke of "abuse by certain members" - who dared to voice their opinion - was meanwhile deleted by the webmaster from the site. The entry by Tomas containing a blatant abuse was allowed and probably also considered by the webmaster as "supportive". If this is the way Shipspotting is heading, then thanks, but no thanks. Please proceed without me.

Robert Smith.
Member since August 9th., 2005.

Speaking personally, if this really is how you feel, and judging by the way you have expressed yourself, the site is better off without you.

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »
Really Simonwp ?

Then please answer this:

Do you think it's normal that freedom of speech is curtailed by the webmaster ?
Do you think it's normal that administrators use the word "abuse" for a normally worded   comment which contents they do not like ?
Do you think it's normal that the text in question is hidden by the webmaster to avoid embarassment ?
Do you think it's normal that members write: "Is it really so goddamn difficult?"

I suggest you think twice before you write such clumsy comments.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 02:20:37 AM »
Calm down guys
Not worthwhile the whole bravado

What I did and still working on,,take all the funnel pics I had (close to 500)off the site.
But throwing all out the window,, makes no sense to me, yet

Otherwise, imagine if we pay,,then may be the discussions would be much "ruder" because
everybody think they have a right to it. This free story might be in that matter helpful !!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:08:25 AM by Ken Smith »
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Leon de Hoop

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 07:51:48 AM »
Keep up the good work guys, you do a great job with this website.
Hopefully it will continue r many years to come.

Best regads

Leon

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 10:05:21 AM »
Really Simonwp ?

Then please answer this:

Do you think it's normal that freedom of speech is curtailed by the webmaster ?
Do you think it's normal that administrators use the word "abuse" for a normally worded   comment which contents they do not like ?
Do you think it's normal that the text in question is hidden by the webmaster to avoid embarassment ?
Do you think it's normal that members write: "Is it really so goddamn difficult?"

I suggest you think twice before you write such clumsy comments.

I thought you had left the site!!!!

I normally don't get involved with these sorts of threads. My purpose in being a member of this site is to help me enjoy my shipping hobby, not to engage in purile debates about freedom of speech etc, they are for other sites. When you join the site you accept the rules. You might not like them all, and they might not always go in your favour, but, in the grand scheme of things I don't believe it really matters. I'm always conscious of the fact that this is a free site, run by volunteers, who give up a considerable amount of time so that we can enjoy it. They might not always get things right, but that's just they was of things, they are trying their best, and giving there time freely.

At the moment I don't post photographs to this site, I'm too busy scanning a large collection of slides and photographs as part of a house downsize move, but eventually I will, and I know that, however hard I try, some will get deleted as substandard. I will accept that. Because I know the rules. Inevitably, when an administrator deletes a photograph, there will be an element of subjectivity in that decision, but he is doing this work as a volunteer, and the site is free, so it has to be accepted. This site is now extremely large, and sometimes seemingly harsh decisions have to be made to keep an element of control.

When people complain about photograph deletions, I often wonder why they post photographs, is it for the benefit of other members, or is it for their own aggrandisement, i.e. wanting to post the most photographs, be a top poster, post the best photographs. Is it really that important to you that all your photographs are accepted, and none deleted? If it is you are probably posting them for the wrong reasons.

When people complain about website and server problems I just wonder if they recognize just how much freely given time goes into sorting out these problems.

This site is here for our free enjoyment, and to help us with our hobby, anyone using it should always bear that in mind.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:22:20 AM by simonwp »

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 11:08:25 AM »
...but he is doing this work as a volunteer, and the site is free, so it has to be accepted...

And here it is again, our favorite killer argument to end all discussions, or in other words, "As you don't have to pay for it would you please shut up!"

Let's be serious and tell me one feature that would qualify Shipspotting.com in it's current state as a pay-site. I wouldn't pay to be able to make my work available here. Or is there someone around who's paying his boss so that he allows you to work for him???This website exists because we, the users, are voluntarily uploading our photos here, which I suppose was the intention when this website was created.

Alas, nowadays it looks more like it's vice versa. It always sounds like, "Call yourself lucky that we are willing to accept your humble attempts on ship photography, the more so as you don't even have to pay for it"...

Furthermore I see no need to tell us again and again that the website is run by volunteers who are doing this in their rare spare time etc. etc. We all know that! I suppose that none of them was forced with a gun to his/her head to accept this job. They chose to do it by their own free will, so they have to live with it (excluding of course insults, verbal abuse etc. which is in no way tolerable!).

I think it's high time that this website returns to being a real community, defined as "a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals".

Jens

Offline Pier Master

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • The Pier Master
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 11:54:27 AM »
We have all probably had deletions but we take it on the chin. Keep up the good work Ken and administrators...

Regards, Brian.
Blistering barnacles...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk