Author Topic: MARY MAERSK SETS CONTAINER LOADING RECORD  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
MARY MAERSK SETS CONTAINER LOADING RECORD
« on: August 20, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »
Courtesy of Loadstar:

A record has been set with a Triple-E vessel carrying the highest ever number of containers between Europe and Asia. On Monday morning, 21 July, Mary Maersk left Algeciras, Spain on its eastward journey, bound for Tanjung Pelepas, Malaysia. But this was not just any voyage. On board were no less than 17,603 twenty-foot equivalent units (TEU), the highest number ever loaded on a vessel. Upgraded facilities for higher utilisation The third vessel in the Triple-E series, Mary Maersk has a nominal capacity of 18,270 TEU, but so far that capacity has not been fully utilised. One prerequisite has been preparing the terminals for the added size, explains Carlos Arias, head of the South Europe Liner Operations Cluster.

Offline echobow

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: MARY MAERSK SETS CONTAINER LOADING RECORD
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 01:23:48 PM »
Thanks for these impressive facts, but I'm wondering if Maersk counts in this case the actual number of loaded containers, which are apparently above all forty-foot units, or the amount of the smaller 20-foot TEUs, which could be theoretically placed on the vessel instead of the 40-foots. In my opinion and after a rough calculation the real number of these large containers must be much more less than 17600. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this consideration.
Regards, David

Offline -Juul-

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »
Hi David

The number of containers stated is calculated as TEU's. Meaning that all containers onboard above 20 feet in lenght is multiplied by 2. As you write yourself, they will not be able to carry no way near 17600 40 foot containers =)

Best regards
Uffe Juul
2nd Officer
Maersk Line

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:03:18 PM »
Maersk's count is for 17,603 TEUs - meaning Twenty-foot Equivalent Units.

A 20 foot box is 1 TEU, and a forty-foot box is 2 TEUs. The mix of actual box sizes, and the actual count of boxes is less representative of the vessels lading than the TEU count, I think.
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline echobow

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »
Uffe and Chris, thank you for your good explanations. Now it all makes sense to me:)
David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk