Author Topic: SHIPS FUNNELS  (Read 7087 times)

kensmith

SHIPS FUNNELS
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »

I would like to remind members to read and understand the Rules before uploading to the Two Funnel Categories, there appears to be an increasing number of members that are not familiar with the Rules when uploading to the Two Categories.

http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Shipping%20company%20funnel%20markings#307

You should not enter a Ships Name in the Title Box, these categories do not require a ships name, instead you should enter the name of the Company/Manager in the Title Box, also you should not enter the IMO number in the box, it is not required but can be added for reference in the description box along with the the Ships Name.

The Ships Funnel categories are not about a Ship, they are about the Funnel Marks and the Companies and Ship Managers/Charterers that use them, as I have said there is no harm in giving a ships name but it should not be given in the Title Box.

It is also expected that before uploading a Ships Funnel some research is taken to ascertain if a Website is available that can be given as a Link to accompany the photograph.

I would ask all members uploading to the Ships Funnel categories to take note of this and work to the Rules and Guidelines for the Categories, in doing this you will be helping yourselves and the Admins to keep the Categories in good order, failure to do this and you risk the rejection of a photograph.

Also please remember when uploading a Funnel it must fill 50% of the Frame.

Kind regards
Ken Smith
Webmaster

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: SHIPS FUNNELS
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 09:53:18 PM »
don,t upload there anyhow anymore for certain reasons started to delete already,,down from 400plus to 130 or so,,soon will be ZERO.. Not worthwhile to go through the trouble
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 08:04:21 PM »
don,t upload there anyhow anymore for certain reasons started to delete already,,down from 400plus to 130 or so,,soon will be ZERO.. Not worthwhile to go through the trouble

So does this statment mean that these catogories are being wound up and done away with then

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 12:39:16 AM »
@Phantom

not at all ,, It is me private because I consider uploading there as a waste of time for certain reasons where the webmaster is aware off
so,,,keep uploading them as per rules and enjoy it.

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:34:58 AM »
Capt. Ted.......
I can understand your frustration. I've had a few funnel shots deleted because of the following reason..."A new and closer view of the same logo has been uploaded on the site".
In spite this category being somewhat controversial, I think these so called replacement shots in some instances take away from the integrity of the photo itself in that they are so severely cropped, barely showing the funnel and concentrating solely on the logo itself. In some instances one can't tell whether its an actual funnel or some other part of the ship. Anyone can zoom in on subject matter or crop until there's not much else to see of the actual funnel itself. In my opinion some of those are not "quality" shots...! Closer does not necessarily mean better...!

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:19:32 AM »
Cptn Ted, i agree with you whole heartedly, seeing as we go out and find a vessel we need to photograph, then we do so and it includes all aspects of aforesaid vessel.
We then upload the fruits of our labours, so that they can be added to our portfolio's, but only to be deleted due to the fact only one picture of the funnel is allowed on the site.
I like to admire my handywork, after all the effort gone into obtaining them, i really dont want to trawl the catogory trying to find the one better than mine so i can see it.
But there you go we dont make the rules, we just have to accept them
Regards
Richard
(Phantom53)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:09:13 PM »
@ Phantom

I do not have a problem with only one good shot of a funnel
Imagine the Maersk funnel,,,rather popular how it would be when 200
funnel shots of just that logo would be on the site,, makes not much sense.
I concentrated usually on funnels which are rare,,like bulkers on the Mississippi River and such.
My point is more that some of mine got deleted in favor of another picture from a certain member, but when it was the other way around,,when mine was already there,,either it was also deleted or mine got on,,but the other stayed.
So no clear line,,just the way it favoured some and others not.
Have now my own funnel site,, where by now I have about 200 and have about 4-500 to upload
once I delete them here,,I upload there. That way the certain member can do what he wants,,fine with me.

you can see my site link in my profile and check it out.

brgds
capt ted

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »
Ted,

your problem must for sure be dealt with by a moderator!!! It is no way, and no way of fairness and I would say, it is nothing what you can just look over and do nothing!
I believe, such situation can not be accepted by moderators!!!

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 09:30:26 PM »
I have been on board site for approx. 30 months and I notice a similar pattern of funnel deletions that would support Capt Ted's comments.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »
hi Cornelia

To some extent you have a very valid point, but I getting too (old/tired/above,fill in what you like) in such matters, fighting around for this. If a section can not be controlled impartial and as uploading member one is kind of on the short handle it makes not much sense to fight it openly. So I decided to stay away from the fight. Interesting though that it was that the real deleting started when I was becoming the single most uploader in numbers and in funnel section on the site and was by that seemingly in the way of the self promoting of the situation from the other side.
Of course I could now protest like crazy and such, or suggesting that ADM,s for a certain section should not upload in the very same section they virtually "police" (which is usually done very correct on this site) in order to avoid such situations, but it is all mute on the end and goes only the way of fighting and bad taste down the line.
So I keep uploading pictures I have and funnels go on my own site.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk