Author Topic: HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH  (Read 16957 times)

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 06:57:02 PM »
I would not get too excited, when she was originally due on Friday the council had deemed the Round Tower closed to all but press and cars not allowed anywhere on Southsea Seafront.  Not sure what is happening as she is arriving two days earlier than originally planned.

Allan

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 03:57:34 PM »
It was definitely not a day to get excited over. Yes, being a mug, I went, arriving at Clarence Pier around 05:30, intending to make the left turn along the sea front. Park and walk was OK until the time came to leave: 50 minutes from the car park at the Clarence Pier end of the prom to joining the M27!
Here's a question for someone; Why is it being referred to as HMS Queen Elizabeth? Surely, it becomes HMS when it is commissioned? It was flying a blue ensign (government service) indicating the contractors are still very much in charge. When the previous carriers were decommissioned, the HMS was removed from the names pretty quickly.
By the way Allan, I don't know if you made it down there today but when I saw the numbers of yachts and small boats, I had visions of you tearing your hair out, shouting epithets etc!

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
I got up at daft o'clock and parked in the same car park as Kelvin just after 5am, no problem with leaving after a walk round Old Portsmouth and a stroll along Southsea and a cuppa.
I also wondered why they kept referring to her as HMS?

Photos to follow

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 10:01:46 PM »
No Kelvin, I did not make it.  I think I am suffering photo overload as just got back from cruise and took far more interesting stuff in Kronstadt, which I am still trying to sort out !!

Allan

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 04:02:09 PM »

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 12:07:29 PM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:10:12 PM by Robert J Smith »