Author Topic: South Korea ferry carrying 350 sunk.  (Read 20495 times)

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
South Korea ferry carrying 350 sunk.
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:21:37 AM »
Most updated info here. Chronology of event below hash line.

This is accurate as of 16:00 KST (07:00 GMT).

179 rescued (including 77 high school students).

2 dead

~290 unaccounted for

340+ commandos from Army/Navy/Coast Guard all working on getting to possible survivors trapped in completely submerged ferry. Even if they manage to get survivors, the water is so cold (10 degrees C / 50 degrees F) that they need to be airlifted promptly.

We pretty much have to expect the worst as it's almost 5 hours since capsizing. You are expected to survive 2-3 hours in water this cold.

The 6.825-ton ferry, identified as the "SEWOL", had 477 on board: 30 crew and 447 passengers including 324 high school students and 10 teachers on a field trip. It also carried ~180 vehicles and 1157 tons of cargo. The ferry departed from Incheon on route to Jeju Island. The ferry was going through fog and hit the reef at 09:00 KST. It immediately started to lean onto its left side. The ferry completely capsized at 11:20 KST. It is now known that the departure had been delayed due to fog.

+++

BY JACK KIM AND CHOONSIK YOO (Reuters)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:33:42 AM by Peter Hartung »

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: South Korea ferry carrying 350 sunk. (Sources: BBC Korea; gcaptain).
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:31:11 AM »
293 saved

164 unaccounted for

2 dead

Info as of 16:30 LT, source: KBS News

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile

Offline Vincent Milner

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: South Korea ferry carrying 350 sunk.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 07:45:33 AM »
This is very sad.

May their soul Rest in Peace.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: South Korea ferry carrying 350 sunk. (Sources: BBC Korea; gcaptain).
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 07:52:50 AM »
293 saved

164 unaccounted for

2 dead

Info as of 16:30 LT, source: KBS News

Bad mistake on my part: it is the other way around, 293 unaccounted for, 164 saved. The news say that there are people trapped inside the ship. I hope the numbers will again be wrong, and that this will not be the worst maritime disaster in Korea since 1970.

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 10:53:39 AM »
Former FERRY NAMINOUE - IMO 9608348  ? ?

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1889705

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »
No. Ferry Naminoue was built in 2013, and Sewol in 1994.

So, they are 20 years apart, at least if you consult Equasis.

Both are Japanese built, and I guess that outside stairway can be confusing.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
Yes, SEWOL was former FERRY NAMINOUE.  But the previous one, IMO 9105205.

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »
What caused this, perhaps a ballast malfunction?
R.I.P.

Offline seaway7228

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »
As I see it, one conceivable reason for this incident is that of the ferry striking a rocky outcrop which it slid past in titanic or costa concordia fashion which opened up the lower decks to water ingress. This in turn lead to a loss of stability, an angle of loll and rolling to port. Of course there has been talk of ballasting and if they attempted to counteract a list then this would cause or may cause the vessel to roll the opposite way. From what has been currently seen above water before the vessel submerged leaving only the bulb above water there didnt appear to be grounding (striking) damage along the starboard bilge (although it maybe further aft given the way the vessel sank). I cannot at this time imagine another scenario-- but at this stage no one has discussed the hull condition. These vessels are floating deathtraps and if one takes the Herald of Free Enterprise as a starting point, one can count the accidents on an annual basis.. What has Class done, what has IMO done-- nothing if not much!! Time for a real change in design not a load of yes sir no sir politically commercial nonsense! If it was an airliner they would have done something years and years ago!!My thoughts go out to those who lost their lives in a miserable fashion thanks to the totally inadequate understanding of safety aboard the vessel by the employees responsible and to the families that lost their children and others. Nothing changes in this industry!!

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 05:23:07 PM »
Just been watching the BBC news (Thurs, 6pm) about this awful event - but was dumbstruck to hear the BBC's science reporter telling the world that a ferry's critical angle of heel is 5% . . imagine that . .

What is average large ferry's maximum safe inclination? I have no idea, and would be fascinated to know.
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »
Seems very odd comment.  But that is exactly what he said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/bbcone/live report starts at 1802 (ie first story).

IMO rules on intact stability for passenger ships require maximum 10

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 08:59:44 PM »
Odd, isn't it? 10% for a passenger vessel as a result of steering actions seems appropriate for a vessel carrying passengers, but I've certainly been aboard quite large vessels rolling rather more than that!
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »
Odd, isn't it? 10% for a passenger vessel as a result of steering actions seems appropriate for a vessel carrying passengers, but I've certainly been aboard quite large vessels rolling rather more than that!

Rolling or heeling due to steering action?

Also, 3.1.2.6. says "...when calculated using the following formula" which gives the heeling moment at which the angle of heel shall not be more than 10 degrees. That does not necessarily mean that the ship can't heel more during maneuvering.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 12:17:59 AM »
Remember Costa Concordia and that Korean newlywed couple saved from their cabin the day after the grounding?

They were told to "go to their cabin". So they did.

So did the children on the Sewol when they were told to "stay put". They were used to obey orders, not to question them, even against their better judgement.

Situation on the Sewol did NOT escalate incredibly quickly after the initial incident. Survivors said they were waiting "30 to 40 minutes". Until the moment the "rolling cargo" on vehicle deck shifted, and then it was too late for anything.

Safety drills involving passengers on Korean ferries do not exist (I've taken Korea-Japan ferries dozens of times). They do, however, broadcast over PA that "passenger safety is of our main concern", but it is up to passengers themselves to familiarize themselves with muster stations/safety equipment.

Anyway, we are still to learn about the cause of the sinking, but the loss of life was entirely preventable, IMHO.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk